[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:10:12 -0700

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Niels Sascha Reedijk <
niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In this message I would like to forward a proposal that came out of an
> interesting group discussion at BeGeistert. I would suggest everyone to
> look at it. If you have any comments, feel free to post them. If necessary
> we can put it up for a vote.
>
> Considering the fact that Package Management is one of the corner stones
> of our R1 Roadmap, and the fact that package management will be merged in
> the coming week, we propose the following:
>
> * We will aim for a release of the first beta of Haiku in the next 2-3
> months.
> * The release will be made from a branch. The branch point will be 6 weeks
> from now.
> * We will take 2-4 weeks to test the hell out of the beta branch.
> * A release-manager will be responsible for taking care of the beta branch
> * The branch will be the basis for future regular (beta) releases
>
> With the schedule above we are aiming for a fast way to show of the
> wonderful work that has gotten into Haiku since alpha 4. We also open up
> the opportunities for end-users to start testing and delivering feedback in
> order to get us to the goal of releasing R1.
>
> Greetings from the participants at BeGeistert,
>
> Niels

I think Alpha 5 freeze in 6 weeks with a release in the next 2-3 months,
and then a Beta 1 around April-May 2014 may be the better path.  That
should give exposure to PM, and allow time to get those last features added
in before the "feature freeze" of Beta 1.  How close is the Haiku Depot
program to being done?  What about the new network preferences app?  Is the
update app being worked on yet?

There's a lot of software that should be repackaged into .hpkg format and
that's going to take a good bit of time and effort.  I think going to Alpha
5 and then to a Beta 1 a few months later should be do able.  I'm sure
we'll see a lot of complaining out of some of the users who look to
Haikuware for software, only to find that it's not working quite right due
to the changes PM will bring about.

-scottmc