[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:17:45 -0400

Stephan Aßmus wrote:

Ideally the package management will provide the technical basis for this on the client side. The
repositories that a user can subscribe to would depend on the update channel (nightly or stable).
We would also need a mechanism for how stuff gets transferred from the nightly channel (git master)
into the stable channel (release/stable branch). I suppose stuff needs to be flagged as being
stable by users of the nightly channel. But I wonder how well we can keep track of what commits
constitute a specific "feature" or a specific "fix". And what got already
merged and what hasn't…

I guess my point is that ideally we would aim to skip a fixed release cycle altogether
and implement a rolling release right from the "start" (the PM reboot).

Best regards,
-Stephan

The amount of suggested segmentation here is disturbing, I am very anti choice, there is stable and beta/alpha code, and largely, no one but beta and alpha testers should be running anything but stable code. As to rolling releases, be wary of the "automatice updates" cycle of windows, it annoys the living hell out of many users.

Sean