[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 20:10:41 -0400

On Sunday, May 1, 2011, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm certain that administering the migration to a new VCS would be a
> respectable contract for Haiku, Inc.
> Last I saw, there weren't any time requirements on what is a viable
> contract, other than

I guess you got cut off there...

Nonetheless:

Would it be crazy to just use GitHub? They are the Git pros, it has a
lot of nice tools, it is easy to add and remove collaborators, it is
easy to fork and then merge back in changes, it is free for open
source projects, it is used by tons of other projects, and more.

I know we have a nice server setup but the time and effort and
maintenance it would take maintaining our own git server seems silly
when GitHub is around.

The existing Git clone of Haiku could probably be put on GitHub in a
few hours. Haiku committers would just need to set up GitHub accounts
(if they don't already have one) and be added as collaborators.

I'll volunteer to do it.

--
Regards,
Ryan