[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 01:08:14 +0200

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 21:34:13 +0100 wrote Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 30-Apr-11 19:44, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> Both git and hg are said to have big learning curves (although hg's is
> said to be smaller than git's), and I would expect that bzr does as
> well.

I started to use git for personal projects about half a year ago and can say
that, formulated as generally as that, such a statement is simply not true. In
my case the learning experience considered of taking half an hour for reading
through a tutorial and having a reference handy for a while (plus web search
for a few less common situations (like how to track a non-trunk svn branch with
git-svn or how to "export" sources from a remote repository)). I'd say learning
the standard git functionality is only marginally more overhead than learning
that of svn. Trying to learn "all of" git -- which you won't need -- would be a
much bigger undertaking, though.

> The start of GSoC does not seem like a good time to force this
> learning curve on students who already have a lot on their plate with
> GSoC itself.

Unless that's technically not feasible or too difficult to be worth bothering,
I guess we'll continue to have at least a read-only svn mirror after switching
to another tool. So for people without commit access nothing would change --
they would continue to have the choice between using svn, git, and hg.

CU, Ingo