[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 21:04:33 -0500

On Sun, 1 May 2011 20:10:41 -0400
Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 1, 2011, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm certain that administering the migration to a new VCS would be a
> > respectable contract for Haiku, Inc.
> > Last I saw, there weren't any time requirements on what is a viable
> > contract, other than
>
> I guess you got cut off there...
>
> Nonetheless:
>
> Would it be crazy to just use GitHub? They are the Git pros, it has a
> lot of nice tools, it is easy to add and remove collaborators, it is
> easy to fork and then merge back in changes, it is free for open
> source projects, it is used by tons of other projects, and more.

+1. Personally I think using github is a great idea.  We would save
a lot of server admin resources going this route.  In addition to
the savings in resources, the code would remain secure as well. One
really good feature of git is that every developer has a full copy of
the git repo including logs of every single revision.  If the *very*
worst case scenario occurred and github went under overnight... every
developer would have a full backup of the git repo (as of their
last pull) ready to be deployed.

 Thanks!
   -- Alex