[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 12:55:30 +0200

On Mon, 02 May 2011 12:33:58 +0200, Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That does not do away with the choice between Git/Hg though, unless
there are compelling reasons to keep on both.

From the various replies to this thread, I have the feeling Git is the most popular. Amongst other reasons, because it is working well in Haiku right now. Can we have a formal vote and go for one or the other (very likely Git)?

Personally, I think relying on git-svn, git-hg or hg-svn interaction is asking for trouble.

As far as I can see, there are some solutions to have Trac interact with GitHub [1]. I think most people agree that GitHub provides a very nice interface to a repository, so why not take advantage of this? GitHub can replace the source browser, and changesets would simply point to GitHub. This looks less prone to problems than using a Git plugin in Trac.

An alternative to GitHub is Gitorious, which can optionally be self-hosted. This wouldn't make us dependent of a third party like GitHub. I'm don't know whether Gitorious is as nice as GitHub, though (haven't used it).

[1] https://github.com/davglass/github-trac/wiki

Cheers
--
Brecht