[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Daniel Pihlström <threecreepio@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 13:23:47 +0200

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why would it attract new developers? It's really not hard to pull the source
> from svn (or the git or hg mirror) and start hacking locally.

No, to hack at the code isn't so much an issue. What I personally feel
(haven't been using Haiku long) is that I don't know how I would go
about getting a code change checked in. When using a project hosted on
github, it was easy for me to learn through the github help wiki what
the expected process of submitting a change was, and after finding a
few bugs to fix it was easy enough to make a pull request through the
interface that showed up so that people with commit rights on the
project could review the change and tell me how badly I had screwed
things up.

To me, and likely to others using github, this is a good way to work.
I can't speak for whether it's a good fit for Haiku.

> I'm not convinced it's an advantage to have it very easy to fork Haiku
> online to a whole new online-accessible project. Haiku isn't a typical OSS
> project, it's more a unified effort driven by the core team.

There are plenty of those on github too though, if I'm understanding
you correctly. See for example, Node.js[0], it has two people who are
able to actually commit to the Node.js master branch. If a person who
isn't in that core team feels a desire to contribute a patch to it
they create a fork, make a pull request to joyent/node, and it waits
there until ry or isaacs accepts it / discusses it.

> Please correct me here - but doesn't a git setup typically result in people
> doing their
> work in their own forks, which can then easily get out of sync with the
> master repo? Isn't that exactly the same problem that happens with stale
> patches on trac? At least then they're in a central place and we know about
> them, and they're not scattered around multiple places on the web.

Yes, using a DVCS is going to lead to a bunch of forks. I don't view
it as a problem myself, as long as you make clear which is the actual
master.

[0] https://github.com/joyent/node