[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Jon Yoder <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 11:25:17 -0400

On 05/01/2011 06:19 AM, Brecht Machiels wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2011 02:36:16 +0200, Ryan Leavengood
<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm still interested in what the committee has to say, but I have an
idea/suggestion. Since the choice seems to be between Git and
Mercurial at this point, what if we made the main repo a Git repo and
then for those people who really prefer Mercurial they could use
Hg-Git

I don't have any experience with Hg-Git, but I would expect some trouble
with this. Wouldn't it be better to decide on one of the two?

Then there is really nothing to decide. Of course hg-git may not yet
work in Haiku, but if there are people who really want hg I'm sure it
could be ported. Though from what I understand it is pure Python so if
we get our Python port at 100% (or close enough), it should work. In
fact the latter (Python not yet at 100%) is a big, big downside of
Mercurial. Git works 100% (or close) on Haiku AFAIK.

It would be very nice to have git gui and gitk available though. Of
course, we don't have any graphical tools for SVN either, but I think
these can help a lot to lower the complexity barrier of a DVCS.

These would require a port of Tk to Haiku. I'm not sure how much work
this would be. Maybe someone with a clue can comment?

Best regards,
Brecht
Porting any language to Haiku is a lot of work if you want to be able to use the GUI, which is part of the reason why I'm continuing to work on libcharlemagne, a generic object interface to the API with both C and C++ exports. It's slow going because of my limited free time combined with juggling both coding and my writing, but it's making progress. It should make it possible to enable the GUI for any language with a lot less work, especially if it is supported by SWIG.

--Jon