[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 09:58:21 +0200 (MEST)

Niels Sascha Reedijk<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But most of the errors for hg were a file permission problem,
> indicating that either Haiku's file system, the POSIX part of Haiku,
> or Python's glue to Haiku, or the hg test suite has a flaw. (The
> latter is not unlikely because of the way the tests work).

However we put it, it's fixable, anyway :-)

> So in this sense it seems to me that the choice will be less 'clear'
> than envisioned. It really comes down to taste.

I think the biggest hg drawback is the lack of hard link support in BFS; since
the rest is mostly a matter of taste, I would argue that git would be the
better choice then.
However, with tools like git-svn working perfectly fine, and our main
repository working pretty much how SVN works, what is the exact motivation to
switch? We can already have developer branches at github if we want to, and
everyone can already use git locally now. I would definitely not want to
sacrifice our current Trac integration for git on the server.

With regards to github vs. hosting it on our own server: with a DVCS, I think a
foreign server is definitely an option, although I guess the integration with
our tools would be easier when we host it ourselves. Also, at release time, we
need to trust the server as well, and we already moved away from SF, and
BerliOS which are both happily used by thousands of projects. And finally, I'm
mostly satisfied with the speed our server provides us nowadays.

Bye,
   Axel.