[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:36:16 -0400

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you have an opinion on which SCM to choose but were not a member of
> the above committee, please restrain yourself from responding here. We
> already have enough discussion about this in the threads below. But
> any further prodding or +1s about hearing from this committee are
> welcome :)

I'm still interested in what the committee has to say, but I have an
idea/suggestion. Since the choice seems to be between Git and
Mercurial at this point, what if we made the main repo a Git repo and
then for those people who really prefer Mercurial they could use
Hg-Git:

http://hg-git.github.com/

Then there is really nothing to decide. Of course hg-git may not yet
work in Haiku, but if there are people who really want hg I'm sure it
could be ported. Though from what I understand it is pure Python so if
we get our Python port at 100% (or close enough), it should work. In
fact the latter (Python not yet at 100%) is a big, big downside of
Mercurial. Git works 100% (or close) on Haiku AFAIK.

Ryan