[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:50:36 -0400

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Both git and hg are said to have big learning curves (although hg's is said
> to be smaller than git's), and I would expect that bzr does as well. The
> start of GSoC does not seem like a good time to force this learning curve on
> students who already have a lot on their plate with GSoC itself.

Well you may be in the minority of students who have experience with
SVN. So it could be argued that learning Git or Mercurial (hg) would
not be that much harder than learning SVN for those with no experience
in any of those tools. On the other side of the equation some of the
other students may already be familiar with Git or Mercurial as well
as SVN.

I am curious what the plan is for GSoC student's code. I think in the
past we made Subversion branches for students to work in. Though
sometimes their work remains lost in those branches if no one takes
the time to merge them in (though that is no argument against SVN
since the same could happen with any tool.) I know in some cases
students just made their own repos in other places, which I think is a
bit silly when the Haiku project should be able to provide a place for
them to work.

> Please note that my intention is not to express an opinion on a source
> control system, but rather on the timing of the switch.

Thanks for your perspective. I'd be interested in hearing from other
GSoC students in whether switching now would make things more
difficult for them.

Also I'm just one developer who would like to see things move forward
on this issue and if I'm in the minority in a vote we may just end up
keeping SVN for now.

Ryan