[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Daniel Pihlström <threecreepio@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 10:40:01 +0200

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We can already have developer branches at github if we want to, and everyone
> can already use git locally now.

I personally think that the actual benefit of github has more to do
with attracting developers to the project rather than for use by
developers who have already been converted.

> With regards to github vs. hosting it on our own server: with a DVCS, I think
> a foreign server is definitely an option, although I guess the integration
> with our tools would be easier when we host it ourselves.

It seems sensible that you would have a public facing repository on
github, where people can get at your code and use a contribution
process that's easy to learn[0] to try to get people involved. On top
of that, you could of course sync up your own servers periodically
with github and perform tool integration and releases from there.

If you're thinking of Trac specifically, there is a service hook at
github for it, but I don't really know if that's a reasonable option.

Vh,
Daniel

[0] http://help.github.com/pull-requests/