[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 08:18:01 -0500

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:44:17 -0400
Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some time ago a "committee" was created to evaluate the options for a
> new source control system for Haiku. I suppose our existing system,
> Subversion, was also considered but I think the general consensus is
> that SVN no longer serves the Haiku project well as a source control
> system.

Pulling away from the Github discussions for a moment, while I am in
favor of git... how will Haiku begin tracking versions?  Previously we
have always used svn revision numbers to identify versions. While using
dates and times makes more sense to track development versions of our
sources, they are a lot harder to track in an easy incrementing fashion.

There *is* a git describe command that gives a quick version based on
the last commit and last version tag:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-describe.html

Example:
  v1.0.4-14-g2414721

Would that work for the about system applet?  Looks like we would have
to use version tags consistently.

Maybe we need to discuss a development cycle between minor version
increments? (eg, once a week we +1 to a minor version.  0.0.0.1,
0.0.0.2. Then up to 0.0.2.0 for Alpha 2, 0.3.0.0 for beta 3, 1.0.0.0
for R1, etc)

Thanks!
 -- Alex