[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 21:34:13 +0100

On 30-Apr-11 19:44, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

I and others like me really think we should get a new distributed
source control system sooner rather than later. While I am a fan of
Git, all of the above distributed systems would provide easier
branching for releases, easier patch management for contributors,
easier development for non-contributors, and also much easier
development for our GSoC students.

As a current GSoC student (and also an occasional contributor of patches), I would rather you didn't cite making things easier for me in support of this. Even if the committee has come to a decision, I would much rather any switch wait until after GSoC is over.

(For those who don't want to wait, there's always git-svn, hgsvn, or bzr-svn, depending on what the committee decides.)

Both git and hg are said to have big learning curves (although hg's is said to be smaller than git's), and I would expect that bzr does as well. The start of GSoC does not seem like a good time to force this learning curve on students who already have a lot on their plate with GSoC itself.

Please note that my intention is not to express an opinion on a source control system, but rather on the timing of the switch.