[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 12:19:42 +0200

On Sun, 01 May 2011 02:36:16 +0200, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm still interested in what the committee has to say, but I have an
idea/suggestion. Since the choice seems to be between Git and
Mercurial at this point, what if we made the main repo a Git repo and
then for those people who really prefer Mercurial they could use
Hg-Git

I don't have any experience with Hg-Git, but I would expect some trouble with this. Wouldn't it be better to decide on one of the two?

Then there is really nothing to decide. Of course hg-git may not yet
work in Haiku, but if there are people who really want hg I'm sure it
could be ported. Though from what I understand it is pure Python so if
we get our Python port at 100% (or close enough), it should work. In
fact the latter (Python not yet at 100%) is a big, big downside of
Mercurial. Git works 100% (or close) on Haiku AFAIK.

It would be very nice to have git gui and gitk available though. Of course, we don't have any graphical tools for SVN either, but I think these can help a lot to lower the complexity barrier of a DVCS.

These would require a port of Tk to Haiku. I'm not sure how much work this would be. Maybe someone with a clue can comment?

Best regards,
Brecht