[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Mark Bing" <bing@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:14:58 +0200

Re: [botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata FenceHi Hendrik

The CKGR and Eastern Ghanzi have always been in fairly close proximity, and
that area has always had predator problems, and probably always will. Farmers
South of Khutse, keep their animals in at night, in Lion proof kraals, probably
not a bad idea where you are either. The disadvantage of this system, is you
need switched on herders to get them all in at night, and calf weaning weights
drop about 20%, if they are not crib fed in the kraals. However, because the
bulls are kept in at night too, your conception rates increase substantially,
as the bulls are available to the cows when they are the most receptive. The
one offsets the other. However get on top of you pasteurella, and paratyphoid
vaccinations please, and make sure your cribs dont leak, or you may get
coccidiosis. Herders on horseback patrolling also helps, ie the more human
activity the better.
Put branches around your kraals, good for bush clearing your swartak. Put the
stems of the branches pointing into the kraal, not outwards. This is adequate,
and the lion should not get in.

Most Lion kills are made at night. A worker should sleep at the kraal, as late
stragglers often get killed at the front gate waiting to be let in. I found in
Lobatse, where we dont kill our leopard, that with bomas  I picked up a lot of
anaplasma, getting the cattle in at night, and your disease  control is a
little better too. I know all these things mean a little more intensive
management but it is not a bad idea, re disease control etc.

We are trying and testing these methods economically at the moment, to find the
positive and negative aspects of these mgts. You could keep good records too,
and possibly join the predator friendly beef innitiative later, where we hope
to get a 30% EU premium on beef marketed to the EU.

Thanks