[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: Dereck Joubert <wildfilm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:26:51 +0200

Hello Pete, Mark,
I don¹t ever understand the logic behind and the knee jerk reaction to a
lion ban possibly increasing poisoning in today¹s conditions. The people who
have been stopped from hunting recently are the safari hunters and the
average ?poisoner¹ has not had access to lion shooting for many years now.
If we add hunting in again, the same guys will poison for the same reasons
they do now. In essence, man and in particular livestock man, has limited
tolerance for things that eat livestock, and they feel as though they can do
what they can about diseases...AND predators., so they do. Reducing conflict
takes a major mind set change. Tourism does that (good examples out of Duba
Vumbura etc) Hunting simply propagates the same old mentality of ridding the
bush of predators (on a sliding scale of effectiveness.) It is time, and
actually it has been happening fairly well, to put effort behind education
and tourism initiatives that change that perspective from ³use, fight,
resist, be a apart from  nature ² to something more akin to becoming part of
it and seeking passive benefits, of which there are many, from nature.
I believe that we have two distinct issues. Hunting, and poisoning, and the
two are not related now to any great degree.
I believe that the call for a hunting ban is a response to the plight of all
big cats globally, (all are in serious decline) and even if we take a small
hit ourselves, we need to think about the larger picture, one of which is
the PR attached to Botswana¹s ban, which can ripple on to many markets
across the world, as a message that we all have a problem. It highlights the
issue and stirs action in countries that care less than we do here.
I want to understand the  CKGR situation more though, and in particular the
trade you mention Mark. That I am sure we can stop.
Also I am in the field right now, and don¹t have the act with me, but what
is Section 46 please? I think we can work that as well if it is  the one
logjam you elude to.
All the best
Dereck