[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Mark Bing" <bing@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:50:34 +0200

Re: [botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata FenceIf a farmer cannot shoot
a Lion that is killing his cattle, he will poison a carcass that lion have
killed and fed on, or place poisoned carcasses out for them to eat. This is the
correlation between hunting ban and poisoning. It happens anyway, whether or
not there is a ban, but possibly moreso when the animals cannot be shot that
did the killing. Shooting or trapping a specific animal is obviously more of a
targeted approach than poisoning carcasses. The worst poisoning of Vultures
occured in the hyaenaveld last year when 30 white backed vultures were killed
on a poisoned carcass meant for Lion, that was before the ban. I stress it
seems only to be commercial farmowners responsible for poisoning, not communal
smallscale farmers, who lack the transport and finance to procure poison in
most cases. So, Poisoning and hunting ban are related, but a positive
correlation between poisoning increase with a lion hunting ban will be
difficult to prove as DWNP ignores freehold and fenced tribal farms in the
main. This at the detriment of Vultures.

The ban affects the  professional hunters, but is not due to the sport hunting
fraternity, rather it is due to the communal cattlepost farmers killing lion
that kill their livestock. The  professional hunters being the most out of
pocket here should try and work with community based organisations in the
problem areas to target marauding cats that have become a problem due to our
farming techniques.  they should also protect their industry from the other
serious threat, that is smuggling of Lion cubs to the NW province. This
practise is whittling away at their genetic resourses, and benefitting only a
few.That way, some money could have gone back into the community in Kweneng
last year, from hunting, instead of 46 lion dieing and no revenue gained. These
cats shot by farmers in protecting their livestock. So far I have only heard
complaints out of the hunting industry about the ban, but nothing positive done
by the hunting fraternity to see why the ban was instituted and do something
about it, ie put monies into education etc, visit the areas concerned, speak
with local CBOs in these areas. The Hunting fraternity in Zimbabwe was very
proactive, worked hand in hand with campfire, and looked into extending
predator ranges in exchange for trophies in these areas. There were at least 10
funded phds on Sable horn size decline in Matetsi, Lion movements out of
Hwange, Leopard territory size etc. Any trend in decreasing tropy sizes were
studied and managed. Why does this not take place here??
Any cattle owner according to sec 46 of the act can kill a lion if it is
threatening his property. So, the largest number of lion shot in Botswana are
by communal farmers, not by hunters. No hunters shoot cheetah, but farmers do.
and so on.

Education is being offered, in bucket loads by CCB, and predator friendly beef
is not far from a reality now, both of which aim to reduce the conflict between
big cats and livestock. Tourism and hunting are also useful.  KCS also has an
educational role to play.
The advantage with hunting is that hunters dont care where they stay, will
rough it, are easier to please, dont mind livestock in the envt where they are
hunting and so on. So,the resourse base needed to develop hunting in a
community is less than for photo tourism. Bear in mind that Batswana probably
love cattle more than God. Every motswana wants a farm, so the areas
surrounding the CKGR on all sides are now 6x6 farms. ( Too small to be
commercially viable, but offering more people land than an 8x8 farm would have
offered, which is what teh old cattle post system evolved on) From The Eastern
boundary now to Khutse are now all fenced farms, and the predators dont have a
buffer zone in most cases. Hullo conflict!!!!
I agree, that in areas close to tourist routes eg outside Khutse, tourism
should be implemented as a CBO, but Leoprd Ecology and Conservation is getting
something off the ground there. Resourses though are limited, and you cant have
a  hard nosed no livestock approach, as it wont work.

Above the FMD fences, in Chobe, Delta etc, tousism is easier, as people go
there to see Botswanas biggest attractions, and most of that area is some sort
of hunting area etc. And so it should be, as it is more valuable as a tourist
destination. However, get off the Northern Sector, and we have fewer visitors.
Khutse and S CKGR, are used mainly by Gaborone Residents, and tourism ( ask
Khutse Lodge) is slow to take off in the South.
I compare the buffer zone around Kruger NP in SA, that earns about 5BN rands a
year in tourism, to Kweneng, which probaly earns P1m, in a good year. The
potential is there, if people wanted it. They can have it if they thought about
it too. But education and development of skills necessary to run tourist
ventures lack here, and there is no political will by Batwana to change the
status quo.

The CKGR is as follows, with my limited understanding. Lion move between
Makadigadi, and CKGR, and Khutse, and across to Transfrontier park. The
population is a single one, and passes over farmland ( conflict). The corridor
between ckgr and transfrontier is being studied again at the moment by SI, to
find out about game movements in this Zone. I dont think there are migrations
left in this area, simply local movements of game in response to rainfall. eg
There were Eland that came into the Werda Area in 2007, due to the drought,
first time in 10 years. Local movt in response to drought. This area, Kang etc
could be heavily exploited for tourism I am sure.

Everything mentioned above involves a mindset change, and education, both
difficult to achieve.

I think that comments on your comments

MArk