[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Mark Bing" <bing@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:00:11 +0200

Hi Pete

My opinion is that it is not a bad interim idea, till something else can be set
in place that is a lot better than a total ban. It has its place to place a
breathing space till a better solution is found.
The problems are twofold as I see it. In Kweneng, one of the problem areas,
there were 48 Lion shot in a 12 month period, and between April and July 2007,
if I am not mistaken 12 were shot South of Khutse, including 3 collared
animals. Killing collared cats is not permitted, yet it goes on, sadly at the
researchers expense. All Lion research in Khutse has ground to a halt, as on
last count there were only about 6 lion left in the park, which affects tourism
and so on. The problem is that the cattle posts around khutse, and indeed
kaudwane Village is very close, so this is a high conflict area. In this case a
resolution could be found i am sure from the Professional hunting community. I
am sure that in 2 to 3 years time, the lion population may have recovered
enough to hunt in Kweneng, and if a hunter came forward from their association
and offered to hunt an animal or 2 in the area, and give the monies ( trophy
fee)  to a local NGO in the area, for development, the area would be more
tolerant to Lion. Some of this monies could go to compensation provided animals
are herded and so on. I think the hunting community needs to be more proactive
here.
The second problem is the fast rush of animals ( Cheetah and Lion Cubs), that
are going over the border to NW, from the Kalahari. Lionesses are shot, and
cubs are captured. I have seen a person at the clinic in Verda who came off
second best in moving a cub too large. This problem is complex, but is
accounting for a serious sink in the cat populations in some areas. This trade
gives a few individuals gains in the short term, but is not good long term for
Botswana. It is a serious threat to the Transkalahari corridor.
I agree with you that poisoning becomes a problem, but since 2007 there are
much more severe strict laws concerning use of poisons, so should anybody be
caught indescriminantly using them, they can get a lengthy jail term.
Unfortunately again DWNP does not police areas outside their jurisdiction ( ie
wildlife areas), so, in Ghanzi and the hyaenaveld, probably the central range
for breeding Lappets, poisons are used frequently, usually Temek. The bird club
as you are aware has been debating the vulture poisoning issues, which we agree
are serious, and we need to address the Ghanzi Farmers assn on this. I think
there will be poisoning hotspots identified, Ghanzi, Hyaenaveld, Kweneng. And
truthfully there has always been poison usage there.
Now if section 46 of the national parks act were revoked, the DWNP could get a
better conviction rate. BUT WEVE SPOKEN TILL WE ARE BLUE IN THE FACE ON THIS
ISSUE

Farmer Education is central to the Lion Hunting ban, and the Poisoning of
Endangered birds ( Vultures) in this case, as well as the cascade of Raptors
like Tawnys, Bateleurs etc that get poisoned with them. There is a Rabies
outbreak in some areas of the country at present. Rabies is disseminated
amongst Jackal when they are shot on farms, or poisoned, and territories become
available to fight over. On a farm where jackal are left, territories are
stable and boundary demarkation is by scat and urine. There is very little
fighting. Not so when Jackal are poisoned and shot. In Zimbabwe I had a
pedigree Charolais breeder loose 9 bulls to rabies in one year, due to severe
poisoning of Jackal on his farm. When he stopped teh practise the rabies slowly
disappeared. This information is needed in Ghanzi, where jackel are always
poisoned, and it is these poisonings that tend to kill lappets.

I do not think many communal cattle post owners poison much, and the Vulture
will tell them when animals are dieing, so they can retrieve the meat.

These are just my opinions as usual. None of these issues are easily resolved.
DWNP needs to be more vigilant, but has little capacity, and is not really
interested in the farming areas. Farmers often dont want to see long term
implications to an action either. I dont think telling a ghanzi Farmer that the
Endangered cape Vultures he just poisoned came from Namibia, and the cape would
mean much either. He loves his cows and will exterminate all threats.

Strangely though, a farmer will vaccinate his cows for Botulism every year, and
incur a P4000 cost in doing so, and may still loose a few. These expenses and
losses are accepted. He may dip his herd through summer and incur a P50 000
cost. But he will accept losses  from gall sickness, as no system is perfect.
When it comes to losses from jackal though, he will not spend any money, and
will blast away at all jackals seen ( just like 4 generations before him have
done). There will be no herder or guard dog, so no expenses are incurred and
the reaction to the jackal is greater than his reaction to botulism. ( both in
time and money) The fact that his management preference, that is killing all
jackal has not worked seems irrelevant. However, if a farmer chooses not to dip
his cows every year, and looses 10% of his herd a year, and 20% due to udder
problems, and keeps up like that for 4 generations, he would go bancrupt. He
would change his management technique to cope with the situation. Only wish
farmers would see predators as part of the picture with farming, like disease,
and calving problems. Preventing losses, rather than scattering poison and
shooting and trapping will work.

Hope this is useful Pete

MArk