[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Richard White" <rhwhite@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:44:29 +0200

Re: [botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata FenceI never cease to be
astounded that supposedly intelligent people can continue to write this sort of
nonsense. For example:-
  "the average 'poisoner' has not had access to lion shooting for many years
now"

  Stock owners don't hunt lions for fun (=sport). It's a necessity so they are
shot or poisoned whether licenced or not.

  "Hunting simply propagates the same old mentality of ridding the bush of
predators"

  Hunting can generate cash which is much more effective at changing mindsets
than any amount of "education", especially where the "educators" are cuturally
completely alienated from the audience. Sport hunting (i.e. killing animals for
fun), subsistence hunting and killing animals in defence of life or property
each involve a different mindset and mental approach by the "hunter". Each is
as different as chalk from cheese from the others and treating them as  single
entity is counter productive. The notion that 'hunting' is not part of nature
is nonsense - humans evolved as hunter-gatherers and what do Lions do for a
living?
While I agree that Lion predation on the overall scale has negligible impact on
the livestock industry, the impact on individual herd owners can be
devastating. To cite an example:- Many years ago, my father had friends who had
a dairy farm on the Athi Plains within (lion) walking distance of the Nairobi
National Park. The old man had a clear policy that any lion which came to the
farm was promptly shot and losses (to both lions and cattle) were kept in
bounds. When his son took over, he decided to tolerate the lions. In short
order, he found himself losing two pedigree Jersey cows a week. No enterprise
can sustain that level of loss and the lions, most of a pride, had to be shot.
Every stock farmer knows this, hence the attitude.

The biggest immediate threat to Lion populations is the capture of cubs to
supply the canned lion hunting industry in South Africa (canned lion hunting
has started in Botswana too). The lioness is almost always shot. Staff within
DWNP are deeply implicated as are some politically well connected people. I
have sent a detailed dossier with names, dates, telephone numbers, money paid,
numbers of cubs etc, etc, to the highest in the land but nothing effective is
being done.

Richard White