[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Elephant Sanctuary" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:17:48 +0200

Hear hear Hendrik!

I have been reading with interest what everybody had to say since the start
of this debate.

For the past 10 years we have 4 boreholes in the Phemelo and Makgalo area
west of the Okavango delta and although we do not farm with cattle - we are
surrounded by cattle and goat farmers. It is a remote area with very little
Government activity in the area. I know through experience that the farmers
in that area do not care what the law or the educated experts who sit in
Gabs or elsewhere have to say - if lions or wild dogs kill their life stock
they track them down and destroy them. End of the story.

They did cut their losses by 95% since they started to kraal their cattle at
night instead of letting them roam free during the night.

Not sure what Hendrik and the farmers in his area are doing with their
cattle at night.

Chris Kruger