[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Arthur Albertson" <arthur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:47:59 +0200

Hi All

Thanks Rebecca for your enquiry regarding last year’s report, which was written
decommissioned Setata fence.  Please note that as the situation has now changed
(for the better) this report is no longer valid.

For those who don’t know the history:  The 200km Setata fence was first
constructed in 1995/6 during an outbreak of Contagious Bovine Pleura Pneumonia
(CBPP).  A comprehensive “retroactive” EIA carried out in 1999 & 2000 - in
response to community, NGO and Government concerns regarding the environmental
impact of this fence  - established that the fence was severely impacting on
wildlife populations and was ineffective as a disease control measure.  Based
on the recommendations of this EIA the fence was entirely removed in 2004.  A
survey I undertook for KCS in 2005 indicated rapid recovery in wildlife
movement behaviour patterns subsequent to its removal.

The good news is that a decision was made in June this year to halt
construction work on the new fence, thus leaving a 70km gap (according to
official correspondence) for wildlife to freely migrate between NG4,5 and NG3,8
(Western fringes of Okavango delta).  The already developed portions to the
east and west of this gap are also to be removed - subject to DWNP monitoring
efforts and consultations with affected communities.

I conducted a follow-up survey of the fence in early September (report and maps
available on request), which showed that the gap (currently 55km in width) is
at least to some extent facilitating the free movement of wildlife between
NG4,5 and NG3,8, but that there are still some problem areas where the eastern
developed portion runs through wildlife habitat , notably:

1.       The existence of two 90 degree turns in the fence. The one, at the
north-east corner of NG5, is a trap to wildlife moving from NG4/5 towards the
Okavango (NG8), in the dry season. The other, further down the eastern boundary
of Ng5 is a trap to wildlife moving back from the Okavango to NG5 in the wet
season.

2.       Two sections of approximately 20km each (adjacent to the corners
indicated) are currently obstructing movements towards the Okavango delta and
resulting in severe stress in wildlife populations moving up and down these
sections. Species most affected  are gemsbok, hartebeest, ostrich, giraffe and
zebra.

Interestingly, from a predator perspective, I noted evidence of spotted hyena
and cheetah hunting along the fence in September and on a number of occasions
in the past I’ve actually seen lion and wild dog using the fence to similar
effect.

The monitoring report has been submitted to DWNP and KCS and I believe that
they are dealing with the situation.  Any further enquiries regarding
mitigation efforts should be directed to KCS and DWNP.

Kind regards,

Arthur Albertson