[botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "Hendrik Jerling" <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:28:56 +0200

Re: [botswanapredatorforum] Re: Report on Setata FenceDear Ladies and Gents

With respect you are all writing a lot around the issues but the reality is
there are lions leaving the game parks and coming to the farms killing cattle
and game on the farms. ( I can only speak for the eastern Ghanzi farms
bordering the CKGR) We captured at least 15 lions over the past few years at
our own cost some of the lions were given to DWNP to be released again in the
CKGR and others were kept in captivity by one Game farmer (with permission and
monitored so no danger of canned industry by DWNP)
Last week there were another lion killing 3 cattle which we (very dangerously
and at our cost) captured again which DWNP released again somewhere in the
CKGR. We could have shot these lion which would have been mush cheaper and
safer but we decided for the capture option as farmers are not going out to
kill all predators we just want to earn a living like everyone else so it is
easy to sit somewhere reading half of what is happening and then writing long
letters but not solving the problem.So please come forward with concrete
solutions to the problems that will benefit all parties.

Thanks
Hendrik Jerling