[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:43:31 -0600

Hi, all.

I have just submitted The Pearl Diver by Jeff Taligaro. It was given a 99.7
rating. There are a lot of Japanese words and names here that may throw off the
overall rating. Page breaks have been protected. The headers were a pain, but I
think I got them all. This should be an easy validation for someone. Could the
validator correct the name in the copyright holder field though? I accidentally
left off the O.

If you need anything else, contact:
solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx

Here's the synopsis:

In 1948, a nineteen-year-old Japanese pearl diver is in her fourth season of
perfecting the techniques of her age-old occupation. But her dreams of spending
her life diving in the waters of the Inland Sea are shattered when she
discovers that she has leprosy. She knows that the shame attached to the disease
is inescapable: rejection by her family is imminent, exile unavoidable. No more
than two months elapse before authorities send her off to a leprosarium
on the island of Nagashima, and although it is only seven miles from her home,
it is a world away from all that is familiar to her. At once, she is instructed
to forget her past, to strike her name from thekoseki, the family register, and
ordered to choose a new name. As Miss Fuji looks around her, she sees her
own future in the debilitated bodies and the lives of the more than two
thousand other patients. But her future never comes; her own case of leprosy
remains
a mild one owing to the discovery of a medicine that impedes the diseaese's
progression in its victims. Yet she is not permitted to leave Nagashima, and
over time, she wonders whether she could even survive back on the mainland. In
the end, it is her constant connection to the sea and her moving encounters
with those around her a writer, a Korean storyteller, a gardener, a tanka poet,
an urn painter that give her insight into her own true nature and the deep
wellspring of courage she needs to reclaim her freedom. Written with precision
and eloquence,The Pearl Diver is an unforgettable and compassionate tale
of one woman's search for wisdom, beauty, and self-worth; an extraordinary
literary debut by Jeff Talarigo.

Shannon
"The different among us tell our stories because we are all only human and so
much need a witness to the truth,"
Claudia Bepko