[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:06:26 +0930

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:12:10 -0800, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> Greg M.,
>            Yes, you are at a disadvantage trying
> to debug the problem if you don't have a known
> well behaving CD drive and if you haven't even
> tried a "plain" CD R in the drive.

I bought some CD-R disks today and tried one -- same result. I think it
must be the drive.

> If the drive  is a CD burner and if it reads your
> XP install disk, then you know the drive reads OK.

I didn't get the XP disks with this second-hand computer, but the drive
reads other disks OK.

> So, if after booting the drive reads the install disk
> but not your R/W  burned disk, then the problem is
> either the protocol used to burn the disk or the
> drive doesn't work with R/W disks.

Or the drive isn't burning the data properly to the blank disks.

> I would certainly try burning a "plain" CD-R disk and
> see what happens.

See above.

> What program are you using to burn the CD.

Nero. It came with the comp. No documentation of course. I'm just
thankful that the HDD wasn't fully erased like a machine I was given
which was full of PnP stuff with no drivers. I junked it and used the
HDD & FDD as spare parts for another comp.

When I can find the time I'll visit a salvage shop I know of and get
another burner. If that works then the problem is solved, otherwise I'll
try something else.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E