[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:53:18 +0930

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:42:09 -0600 (CST), Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sheesh Greg, what kind of computer do you have? Even my old 486
> will boot to a cdrom.

Yes, I probably could boot from my CD-ROM drive if I had a boot CD.

And yes, I could store a lot more on it than on an enormous heap of
floppies if I had a way of putting my stuff onto a CD.

But floppies are so convenient for most stuff.

And the CD-ROM drive on this comp sometimes refuses to read disks put
into it -- it probably needs replacing.

OTOH neither the 3-1/2 or 5-1/4 floppy drives have ever missed a beat.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E