[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Bastiaan Edelman" <bastiaan.pa3ffz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:16:35 +100

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:15:26 -0500 (EST), Sam Ewalt wrote:
;Text preceeding quote o

> What I mean, guys, is that without people who can write code
> in C, there will be no major improvement in Arachne. There is no
> hope now of major improvement.

Why is every one fixing on rrogramming in C?
The end-result must be code that can used in a DOS environnement.

I see no reason why programming in other languages can not be done and
so more programmers are among us.
Most of us dinosaurs should have some experience with BASIC... some
things can be done in HTML or DOS-batch files.

Regards, Bastiaan

> No hope of SSL or JS.

> No hope of Arachne being fully capable of the ordinary functions
> that most people expect of a web browser on a routine basis.

> Sure, a few people will use it, play with it, adapt it to
> various uses. But Arachne will be making no "quantum leap"
> forward in the future.

> Sad, but true.

> On Sun, December 7, 2008 3:15 pm, Ron Clarke wrote:
>> Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!

>> Hi Folks,

>> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:54:38 -0500 (EST)
>> "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> As much as we might all hate to admit it, we're going to have to admit
>>> it--without Glenn, Ray, Joe and the mere handful of others who have
>>> been part of the Arachne  "development mob" we have indeed reached
>>> the end of the line.

>>    Depends on what you mean by that. I am still getting Arachne to do new
>> things and I am surely not the only one.  Maybe the core is not going
>> to see any more quantum leaps, but Arachne's capabilities don't depend
>> ONLY on the core.

>>> As Udo pointed out there hasn't been anything but bug fixes and
>>> minor tweakings for years anyway.

>>   Which is still progress.

>>> There is no money to hire anyone.

>>    Got to agree with that.  L.D. summed it all up pretty well all round.

>>> No volunteers to continue development work. Just a rag tag group of 59
>>> mostly swiftly
>>> aging "dosasaurs"

>>    Sure.  :)      Oldies, but goodies !

>>> End of the line.

>>    I am not so sure.   :)

>>    I use DOS and Arachne every day in my business. And my brain is not
>> dead.      Yet !
>> And I am sure I'm not the only one with an on-going interest.  So, in
>> spite of some of the postings to this list, I have confidence in Arachne's
>> future.

>>    And it won't rely on hiring anyone.

>> Regards,
>>         Ron

>> --
>> Ron Clarke
>> AUSREG Consultancy      http://www.ausreg.com
>> Tadpole Tunes           http://www.tadpoletunes.com
>> This mail sent to you from sylpheed running on penguin-power
>>                   Arachne at FreeLists
>> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

>              Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

This mail is composed and sent by the Arachne Browser for DOS.

This is Arachne A4D version...

-- Arachne;A4e;1q:20