[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:14:52 -0800

Greg M.,
                Some CD drives will only read "plain"
CD's. The OS and drivers also effect what the
CD drive will read.  My W$98 computer will not
read multisession burned CD's properly even
though it will burn them just fine.

As I said,  CD's do NOT behave as predictably
as FDD's.

Eric

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:56:56 +100 "Bastiaan Edelman"
<bastiaan.pa3ffz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You are NOT using re-writable CD's, are you??
> I had a lot of problems with them and consulting glennmcc
> who helped me with burning CD's in DOS... ONLY one-way
> CD's can be used with the programs he once supplied.
>
> Regards, Bastiaan
>

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:01:40 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:
>         ;Text preceeding quote o
>
> > Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
> > On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:10:13 -0800, Eric S. Emerson wrote:
>
> >> Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
> >> Hi Greg M.,
> >>                  I find that sometimes after burning
> >> a CD that it appears blank and the CD/DVD drive
> >> has to be re-initialized. Sometimes just opening and
> >> closing the drive tray fixes it...other times a reboot
> >> is required.  I assume it has something to do with
> >> the driver.  It happens with both my DOS 486 computer
> >> and W$n computers...and...it happens with both
> >> brand new drives and older drives
>
> > I have tried reading the disk with the burner drive and also with
> the
> > non-burner drive on the same computer, and each time it comes up
> empty.
>
> > Except that if I try to burn it again, I get the message that
> "this disk
> > contains data. Do you want to erase it?" and the same message again
> > after it has been fast-erased and fully-erased...
>
> > Got real doubts about the software I'm using, or possibly the
> hardware,
> > or possibly both.....
>
> > Unfortunately the CD drive on the DOS comp has now ceased to read
> any
> > disks. I may have to open it up and manually clean the laser as the
> > cleaning disk will not work under DOS.
>
> > (BTW, I am using proper read-write blank disks)
>
> > Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
> > and remember what peace there may be in silence.
> >    "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.
>
> > ,-./\
> > /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
> > \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E
>
> >              Arachne at FreeLists
> > -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

> This mail is composed and sent by the Arachne Browser for DOS.
>
> This is Arachne A4D version...
>
> -- Arachne;A4e;1q:20
>
>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Click here to find the satellite television package that meets your needs.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2MVW1LxC81U8bJeeucOsS8vwUiVd2JXqRXJzm8hLyEV0puU/