[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:10:13 -0800

Hi Greg M.,
                      I find that sometimes after burning
a CD that it appears blank and the CD/DVD drive
has to be re-initialized. Sometimes just opening and
closing the drive tray fixes it...other times a reboot
is required.  I assume it has something to do with
the driver.  It happens with both my DOS 486 computer
and W$n computers...and...it happens with both
brand new drives and older drives

 Eric

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:04:07 +0930 "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:39:30 -0600 (CST), Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Greg,
> > Too bad you live on the other side of the planet, I could
> > just give you a burner.
>
> I have a burner on the Win computer but for some reason it doesn't
> work.
> When I try to burn a CD everything looks to be working, and
> afterwards
> the CD shows signs of having something done to it, but when I try to
> read it, it shows up as blank. At this stage I don't know whether it
> is
> a software or hardware problem, and I've been too busy to take the
> machine to someone to sort it out.
>
> Another problem is that the CD-ROM drive on my DOS comp has been
> giving
> more and more errors, and now refuses to read any disks. I cannot
> run
> the cleaner disk on it as DOS refuses to read the cleaning part of
> the
> disk. This apparently is due to the presence of the brush on the
> cleaning disk; when DOS meets any irregularity it just says that
> this
> part of the disk is unreadable and refuses to look at that part so
> the
> laser doesn't get run under the brush.
>
> One of these days when I have some spare time, I may get around to
> sorting these problems out. But it is not really urgent as the
> floppy
> disk method may be slow but it gets there. And it looks like I am
> not
> the only one sticking with floppies <GGG>
>
>     Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
>     and remember what peace there may be in silence.
>         "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.
>
>    ,-./\
>   /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
>   \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E
>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Click to become a master chef, own a restaurant and make millions.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2ROjfDDpgFtvlTPh8kf3DSj8WUWFJvyt0bUZp3AUy5P9aRe/