[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:12:10 -0800

Greg M.,
                Yes, you are at a disadvantage trying
to debug the problem if you don't have a known
well behaving CD drive and if you haven't even
tried a "plain" CD R in the drive.
    If the drive  is a CD burner and if it reads your
XP install disk, then you know the drive reads OK.
So, if after booting the drive reads the install disk
but not your R/W  burned disk, then the problem is
either the protocol used to burn the disk or the
drive doesn't work with R/W disks.

I would certainly try burning a "plain" CD-R disk and
see what happens.

What program are you using to burn the CD.

Eric

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:05:11 +0930 "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:14:52 -0800, Eric S. Emerson wrote:
>
> > Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
> > Greg M.,
> >            Some CD drives will only read "plain"
> > CD's. The OS and drivers also effect what the
> > CD drive will read.  My W$98 computer will not
> > read multisession burned CD's properly even
> > though it will burn them just fine.
>
> > As I said,  CD's do NOT behave as predictably
> > as FDD's.
>
> Yes, and it is impossible to check whether it is the hardware or the
> software that is at fault. Or indeed the firmware.....
>
>     Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
>     and remember what peace there may be in silence.
>         "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.
>
>    ,-./\
>   /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
>   \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E
>
>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw1mBfSPEL7fcWKBHWAxDYaoJAMiMtdMdrQVrPYPUVky2PX8A/