[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:26:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, December 7, 2008 11:16 pm, Bastiaan Edelman wrote:

> Why is every one fixing on rrogramming in C?
> The end-result must be code that can used in a DOS environnement.
>
> I see no reason why programming in other languages can not be done and
> so more programmers are among us.
> Most of us dinosaurs should have some experience with BASIC... some
> things can be done in HTML or DOS-batch files.

Well, since the Arachne core is written in C, improvements to the core
will have to be written in C.

Of course APM's, helper apps, and so on could be written in anything
that will run in DOS and the whole thing can be stuck together with
DOS batch files and HTML.

Javascript itself is written in C, as is the Javascript "engine"
that is embedded in applications like web browsers. There are
versions of this engine existing for at least two DOS web browsers.
One of these browsers, Caldera's WebSpyder was based on Arachne code
licensed from Michael Polak. So possibilities exist.

DOS itself is written in C, as is Linux and the various other Unix
systems.

So, obviously, a really talented C programmer would be almost essential
to any substantial Arachne progress.

But, if people can do interesting things and useful things in other
ways, so much the better.

Sam Ewalt