[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:04:07 +0930

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:39:30 -0600 (CST), Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greg,
> Too bad you live on the other side of the planet, I could
> just give you a burner.

I have a burner on the Win computer but for some reason it doesn't work.
When I try to burn a CD everything looks to be working, and afterwards
the CD shows signs of having something done to it, but when I try to
read it, it shows up as blank. At this stage I don't know whether it is
a software or hardware problem, and I've been too busy to take the
machine to someone to sort it out.

Another problem is that the CD-ROM drive on my DOS comp has been giving
more and more errors, and now refuses to read any disks. I cannot run
the cleaner disk on it as DOS refuses to read the cleaning part of the
disk. This apparently is due to the presence of the brush on the
cleaning disk; when DOS meets any irregularity it just says that this
part of the disk is unreadable and refuses to look at that part so the
laser doesn't get run under the brush.

One of these days when I have some spare time, I may get around to
sorting these problems out. But it is not really urgent as the floppy
disk method may be slow but it gets there. And it looks like I am not
the only one sticking with floppies <GGG>

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E