[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:39:30 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:42:09 -0600 (CST), Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sheesh Greg, what kind of computer do you have? Even my old 486
will boot to a cdrom.

Yes, I probably could boot from my CD-ROM drive if I had a boot CD.

And yes, I could store a lot more on it than on an enormous heap of
floppies if I had a way of putting my stuff onto a CD.

But floppies are so convenient for most stuff.

And the CD-ROM drive on this comp sometimes refuses to read disks put
into it -- it probably needs replacing.

OTOH neither the 3-1/2 or 5-1/4 floppy drives have ever missed a beat.

Greg,
 Too bad you live on the other side of the planet, I could
just give you a burner. Also, if you have access to a Linux
box or Live CD, you can make your own bootable CDs with
whatever you want on them. One of my favorites was one I made
from a Pocket Arachne that glennmcc had. I put a DrDOS7.01
system on the CD with it. A full bootable DOS system with
Arachne, all running from the CD. You can even make them load
to a ramdisk if you want. A quick and easy way to make a
bootable DOS CD, is to use one of my favorite commands, 'dd'.
Using Linux, insert a DOS boot disk, then run the command-

#> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=18k

This will put the boot.img image on your harddrive. Then if
in Linux something like-

#>cdrecord -v speed=32 -dao dev=/dev/hdc boot.img

will burn it to disk. This will be just like booting to the
floppy and your CD drive will be drive A:.
You can use windo$e Nero or such too, just don't burn it as
data files but as an image file. A more  complicated, but
far more versatile way is to use mkisofs. I will only give
an example command but you can check man pages or Google for
more info. Look for El Torito, as this uses eltorito booting.

mkisofs -r -J -b boot/boot.img -c boot/boot.catalog -o filename.iso
                                            ^^^^^^^
Make sure if you add diagnostic or recovery apps or a DOS system,
that your PATH statement covers the CD and where they are located.
I don't know for sure, but in Oz, you may have to spell catalog as
cataloge.
Rob
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --