[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:42:09 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Greg Mayman wrote:

I have four boxes of floppies containing master installation files of my
DOS software and a lot of my personal data files.

Last year when my hard disk refused to rotate, everything on it was
effectively lost and I had to start loading a new, blank, 10Gb HDD from
scratch, as follows:

1. boot the comp from the DOS boot floppy
2. FDISK the new HDD to partitions small enough for DOS to use
3. format each partition
4. install DOS on the primary partition
5. reboot from the HDD
6. start installing software and data files from the copies on my
  backup floppies.

As far as I can see there is no way I could have performed the first
three steps without using the floppy drive.

The others could have been done via the internet, if my backup files
were on another computer, although with considerable difficulty.

Sheesh Greg, what kind of computer do you have? Even my old 486
will boot to a cdrom. You can tranfer a bit more data with a CD
too, about 698.6 Megs more, or 4398.6 Megs with a one sided DVD
or 7998.6 megs more with a dual layer or doublesided DVD. You
could prolly have all your data on one disk. No more loading and
unloading bunches of slow reading and slow writing creep along
magnetic floppies. If you don't have a cdrom drive, hit the
landfills. I've been pulling DVD readers and writers from thrown
away computers for about five years now, get one free if you
need to. MUCH more convenient, no file splitting necessary either.
I haven't used a floppy in four or five years.
Rob
--
        ------Pine Email Powered by NetBSD------
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --