[arachne] Re: ...FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: "Udo Kuhnt" <048321887-0001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 02:33:16 +0000

From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Sheesh Greg, what kind of computer do you have? Even my old 486
> will boot to a cdrom. You can tranfer a bit more data with a CD
> too, about 698.6 Megs more, or 4398.6 Megs with a one sided DVD
> or 7998.6 megs more with a dual layer or doublesided DVD. You
> could prolly have all your data on one disk. No more loading and
> unloading bunches of slow reading and slow writing creep along
> magnetic floppies. If you don't have a cdrom drive, hit the
> landfills. I've been pulling DVD readers and writers from thrown
> away computers for about five years now, get one free if you
> need to. MUCH more convenient, no file splitting necessary either.
> I haven't used a floppy in four or five years.

None of my older PCs' BIOS can boot from a CD, not even my 486DX4/120.
The first machine that I could boot from a CD was a K6-II/333.

Also, the very first thing I do with every machine that I either buy
or assemble myself is fit a 3 1/2" floppy drive, and the ones that I
use often also get a 5 1/4" drive.

Most of my testing of new code is done via floppy disks; if I had to
burn a CD every time I wanted to test a new kernel version on several
machines, I would never get anything done.

I think I could do without a CD/DVD drive in most of my PCs but not
without a floppy disk drive. :-)

Regards,

Udo

-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project - http://www.drdosprojects.de