[arachne] Re: Backups (was Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:19:15 +0930

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:23:31 -0500, L.D. Best wrote:

> Plug-in disk HDDs aren't something I would necessarily trust ... if
> you're not using it, if platters aren't turning, what's to prevent
> 'bleed' and consequential data corruption?

OTOH if the platters ARE turning, what's to prevent bleed? Unless you
mean over a period of decades....

> What I'm looking at is the new external flash-based HDDs ... that's for
> down the road, however. <G>

Do you mean the ubiquitous "memory sticks"? But how long can they store
data without errors?

The only "no moving parts" devices I know that really were permanent
were the fusible link PROMs, but they were mostly limited to less than 1
Kb of data.

UV-EPROMs rarely lasted more than about 10 years, EEPROMs somewhat less.
I don't know what technology the memory sticks use, but I doubt that
they would last for more than a few years unless stored in a specially
cool environment.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E