[arachne] Re: Backups (was Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:05:39 +0930

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:13:51 -0800, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> Greg M.,
>             I'd hate to have to backup
> a 60 GB HDD with punch cards !!

Yes indeed <GGGG>

But the hard facts are that the most durable forms of storage of data
are the ones with the lowest density.

For example, characters carved into stone where each character occupies
several square inches can last for millenia.

OTOH, you'd need a storage space bigger than the Great Pyramid to store
60 Gb of data at that density <GGGGG>

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E