[arachne] Re: Backups (was Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:12:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, December 16, 2008 8:13 pm, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

>> Of the moving parts systems, the most permanent medium is punched
>> paper
>> tape or card. This has been shown to store data 100% intact for over
>> 100
>> years.

Yeah, given adequate storage--low humidity, no paper eating termites,
no fires. Many books have lasted over five hundred years without much
special treatment. On the other hand I read about a man in India who
went into his bank safe deposit box and found only dust and termites
instead of bonds and bank books. Got to watch the humidity and bugs
with paper.