[arachne] Re: Backups (was Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:26:39 +0930

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 06:02:54 -0500, L.D. Best wrote:

>> The only "no moving parts" devices I know that really were permanent
>> were the fusible link PROMs, but they were mostly limited to less than 1
>> Kb of data.

> No ... not the pen drives.  Referred to as "Solid State Disk" by some
> mfrs.  They come both external (with USB connection) and internal in a
> 2.5" HDD form.

> These are stats on one internal model MIC.
<snip>

But the guaranteed lifetime of the data is not stated!

I stand by what I said: the only REALLY PERMANENT data storage devices
with no moving parts were the fusible link PROMs. AFAIK none of them has
ever "faded" even after several decades.

Of the moving parts systems, the most permanent medium is punched paper
tape or card. This has been shown to store data 100% intact for over 100
years.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E