[arachne] Greg's CD drive troubles - Was: Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:34:20 -0800

Greg M.,
                I have several different versions
of Nero and they all behave differently in
some ways.  They all have their quirks.
There are some bugs and strange things
that happen. Like when I click the right
buttons to burn a data disk and the file
selection page for DVD burning loads
the first try.....2nd try loads the right
page for CD-R s. And sometimes after
burning some data then the drive refuses
to read the disk ...AND I have new, good,
drives...name brand. After, rebooting
and/or opening and closing the drive
tray several times then the drive will
read the CD-R.

The thing you need to know is if the CD-R
that you burn can be read by a known working
CD drive.

Eric

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:06:26 +0930 "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:12:10 -0800, Eric S. Emerson wrote:
>
> > Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
> > Greg M.,
> >            Yes, you are at a disadvantage trying
> > to debug the problem if you don't have a known
> > well behaving CD drive and if you haven't even
> > tried a "plain" CD R in the drive.
>
> I bought some CD-R disks today and tried one -- same result. I think
> it
> must be the drive.
>
> > If the drive  is a CD burner and if it reads your
> > XP install disk, then you know the drive reads OK.
>
> I didn't get the XP disks with this second-hand computer, but the
> drive
> reads other disks OK.
>
> > So, if after booting the drive reads the install disk
> > but not your R/W  burned disk, then the problem is
> > either the protocol used to burn the disk or the
> > drive doesn't work with R/W disks.
>
> Or the drive isn't burning the data properly to the blank disks.
>
> > I would certainly try burning a "plain" CD-R disk and
> > see what happens.
>
> See above.
>
> > What program are you using to burn the CD.
>
> Nero. It came with the comp. No documentation of course. I'm just
> thankful that the HDD wasn't fully erased like a machine I was given
> which was full of PnP stuff with no drivers. I junked it and used
> the
> HDD & FDD as spare parts for another comp.
>
> When I can find the time I'll visit a salvage shop I know of and get
> another burner. If that works then the problem is solved, otherwise
> I'll
> try something else.

Save $15 on Flowers and Gifts from FTD!
Shop now at http://offers.juno.com/TGL1141/?u=http://www.ftd.com/17007