[arachne] Re: Backups (was Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: "Bastiaan Edelman" <bastiaan.pa3ffz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:09:35 +100

Hi Greg,
I have some XT-computers, about 20 years old, and the BIOS on UV-EPROM
is still readable without faults.
The life-time of the data was 'then' garanteed for 'at least' 10 years,
but these IC's are still in a good shape.

Regards, Bastiaan

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:19:15 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:
;Text preceeding quote o

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:23:31 -0500, L.D. Best wrote:

>> Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!

>> Plug-in disk HDDs aren't something I would necessarily trust ... if
>> you're not using it, if platters aren't turning, what's to prevent
>> 'bleed' and consequential data corruption?

> OTOH if the platters ARE turning, what's to prevent bleed? Unless you
> mean over a period of decades....

>> What I'm looking at is the new external flash-based HDDs ... that's for
>> down the road, however. <G>

> Do you mean the ubiquitous "memory sticks"? But how long can they store
> data without errors?

> The only "no moving parts" devices I know that really were permanent
> were the fusible link PROMs, but they were mostly limited to less than 1
> Kb of data.

> UV-EPROMs rarely lasted more than about 10 years, EEPROMs somewhat less.
> I don't know what technology the memory sticks use, but I doubt that
> they would last for more than a few years unless stored in a specially
> cool environment.

> Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
> and remember what peace there may be in silence.
>    "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

> ,-./\
> /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
> \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E

>              Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

This mail is composed and sent by the Arachne Browser for DOS.

This is Arachne A4D version...

-- Arachne;A4e;1q:20