[arachne] Re: burned CD's that won't read.....

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:50:08 -0500

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 22:55 -0600, Rob wrote:

> I've had way more problems with floppies than I do with
> CDs or DVDs. Bad tracks, unreadable, or funky mechanisms.
> The brand and make of CDs can make a big difference. When
> I get a cellophane wrapper of a hundred CDs for $7.00USD,
> I might get some bad ones, but not if I buy decent made ones.
> Rob
>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

A long time ago they used to make floppy disks of excellent quality.
One could use the same floppy disk constantly for several months
for the purpose of transferring files from one computer to another,
and without ever developing any bad sectors and bad tracks and
"disk unusable" errors.  Also one could store away a data disk for
10 years or so and still be able to read the data even in the next
decade.  Those days when floppy disks were of good quality were the
days when CD-R disks and CD-writable drives were not affordable to
the average computer user.  Nowadays I can buy a perfectly good used
CD-writable drive for about four dollars, or I can pick one up for
free by visiting the county landfill.

I wonder whatever went wrong with the quality control departments,
or the standards of the quality specifications in the factories which
manufacture floppy disks.  Nowadays all the brands of new floppy
disks I have used seem to be far inferior to all the brands of floppy
disks I used to use many years ago.

Sam Heywood