[arachne] Re: burned CD's that won't read.....

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:26:46 -0800

Hi Sam H.,
                     At one time I had a bunch of
5 1/4 FDs that I picked up at some computer
show/flea market that gave bad track zero errors.
It seems I kind of remember reading the cause
somewhere but I've forgotten it. I think I
remember that sometimes it was related
to the floppy being formatted for some
non-PC IBM clone computer.   I also think I
got some of them to work eventually but I
have also forgotten that.  I have found that sometimes
a floppy that refuses to work in one FDD will
work in another FDD  FDDs do get out of
alignment and can be realigned if one has the proper
equipment and knowledge.  A floppy disk is
read the best in the drive it was recorded on,
most of the time.

I have also experienced more floppies with
bad sectors/tracks in the new store bought
packs. If a person uses floppies all the time
in different drives on different computers....
then....he can usually tell when one of the
floppy drives starts to act flaky.  However,
sometimes it's the computer and not the
FDD that is acting up.

Eric

 On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:58:50 -0500 "Samuel W. Heywood"
<sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>snip<
> I have heard that there exist some programs to fix the "track 0 bad
> problem".
>
> Has anybody else heard of such programs, and does anybody here know
> if
> any of those kinds of programs actually work?
>
> Sam Heywood

Find success and happiness with drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Click now.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2ZDrqBOoNZjCTyh0D6SlArboA7dDZA5MgDORrpdz7AZXq24/