[arachne] Re: burned CD's that won't read.....

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:00:22 +0930

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:49:25 -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

>> Could it be.... nah, it wouldn't be that... or would it.... that your
>> floppy drive is suffering wear?

>> Wanna work out how many hours of use the head has had?

That was a rhetorical question <GGGG>

> It is possible that could be the problem.
> Don't know of any simple and practical way to go about testing that
> hypothesis other than to replace the floppy drive with a brand new one

If the number of faulty floppies went down, that would be proof enough!

> and log the usage of the floppy disks to determine the average number of
> reads and writes before failure.

You would have to allow for the fact that not all tracks are used all
the time except when formatting or testing the disk. And you would have
to allow for the fact that writing to each track appears to require
multiple scans of the track, even more if the written data is verified
after the write.

Nah, I wouldn't wish all that work on anyone.

But it is useful to consider it, just to get a (very) rough idea of how
far those heads have to travel.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E