[arachne] Re: burned CD's that won't read.....

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:49:25 -0500

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 16:44 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:50:08 -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
>
> > I wonder whatever went wrong with the quality control departments,
> > or the standards of the quality specifications in the factories which
> > manufacture floppy disks.  Nowadays all the brands of new floppy
> > disks I have used seem to be far inferior to all the brands of floppy
> > disks I used to use many years ago.
>
> Could it be.... nah, it wouldn't be that... or would it.... that your
> floppy drive is suffering wear?
>
> Wanna work out how many hours of use the head has had?

It is possible that could be the problem.

Don't know of any simple and practical way to go about testing that
hypothesis other than to replace the floppy drive with a brand new one
and log the usage of the floppy disks to determine the average number of
reads and writes before failure.  Don't want to do that experiment
because it would take much more time than I would wish to dedicate to
it.  Just imagine how long it would take to observe and record the
number of reads and writes of so many floppy disks over such a long
period of time.

Sam Heywood