[arachne] Re: post install of freedos problems in compaq presario 200 laptop

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:23:16 -0500

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:48 -0500, Brian C. Murphy wrote:

> Now I'm sorry I ever tried to install FREE DOS in my new to me Compaq
> Presario 1200 laptop.  On my last try Freedos installed in it, and at
> one final point asked me to insert a Freedos boot disk it had asked me
> to make earlier, which I fif, and then FREEDOS  wound up the Freedos
> installation and left me.
>
> Since then when I turn on the Compaq it does one  thing and only one
> thing, it says BOOTING FROM LOCAL DISK ..
>
> No matter what I do I can get  notthing else out of the Compaq.  I tried
> inserting the Free DOS boot disk Free DOS told me to make, but it does
> nothing except "Booting from local disk".
>
> All I want to do now is to get FREE DOS totally out of the compaq so I
> can replace it with the well mannered PCDOS7-2000 I use in all my other
> computers.
>
> Please tell me how I can empty out all the FREE DOS stuff and its stupid
> one trick pony "Booting from local disk".
>
> Brian Murphy
> BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Brian:

To get rid of the badly installed FreeDOS files on your hard disk I
suggest that first you download the Balder10 disk image from a link
on this web site:

http://www.finnix.org/Balder

Balder10 is a single disk DOS distro based on FreeDOS.  You can read
more about it at the web page named above.

Extract the boot image to a floppy disk.  Use a program named
"rawrite.exe" to do that.  To find out where you can get "rawrite.exe"
just do a google search for "rawrite.exe download".  You will get
almost 100K hits.

After you create your Balder10 boot disk insert it in the floppy drive
of your laptop and turn it on.  Make sure that the "boot sequence" in
the BIOS is set up to search your floppy drive first for a boot disk.
Your computer should boot to your floppy drive.  From there you should
be able t access your hard drive and delete the files you don't want
and/or reformat your disk.

I have used the Balder10 boot disk many times.  It is very stable, works
fine, and I have confidence in using it.

An MS-DOS boot disk or a Caldera DR-DOS boot disk might work just as
well for you for the purpose of providing access to your hard drive so
you can delete all the badly installed stuff.

Take care, and good luck!

Sam Heywood