[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:08:54 +0100

Keith,

>On the subject of accidents, I am  building a
> simplex, never driven one, never lit a fire in one. yes I am new  to this
> and
> would be glad of a training program of sorts.

I can recommend Doug Hewson's Driver Training Course. You don't even need an
engine and you get to drive on what is possibly the best 5" track in the
country.(Gilling)

>I can understand  people that
> have been building / running locos for years been a little miffed at  the
> thought of having to take a test but is it that dangerous??

It's not dangerous by most people's standards - that's one of the reasons
people get so uptight whenever the subject of "accidents" arises!

 >Do boilers  explode on
> a regular basis?

I don't think there has been an explosion of a silver soldered copper boiler
but I can't say for sure as accident reports are not published in the model
engineering press.

 I have just had a telling off for suggesting using  brass for
> my inner dome, if i did the world would end or de railments  happen
> tipping
> people off onto the floor. this is a topic close to you  all by the amount
> of
> posts you are getting. Im alarmed do i need to join  the dangerous sports
> society.

No - the problem is dezincification of the brass which reduces the it to a
sponge. All the boiler accidents I am aware of have occured through problems
with the boiler fittings, not the boiler itself.

> Oh just a quick one anybody know where i can get  pickling solution from
> in the uk? dont think reeves do it anymore, must be far  to dangerous

Use Citric acid available from some supermarkets as a drain cleaner or, I'm
told, from home brew merchants.

Welcome to model engineering!

Barrie Purslow
Warrington UK