[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:22:38 +0100

Alan,

> Apart from a boiler certificate, many clubs now require police clearance
> of
> each driver.

I've never been asked for police clearance at any club I have ever run at.
Furthermore I've never heard of anybody or anybody who knows anybody who has
come across this. Is this something which is common practice "down South"?

> My club, like some others, requries drivers to have gone through a driver
> training programme, have the appropriate certificate, and carry a log book
> around for that.:-
>
> This year's training schedule will include:
> Learning to prepare a steam locomotive for use on the track
> Track safety and signals
> Cleaning and placing 'on-shed' a locomotive after use
> Driving and control of a 'diesel'
> Correct use of signals and official duties of station control and guard
> Driving with passengers
>
> The Driver training scheme is intended to prepare drivers for running
> trains safely on public running days.  Included in the training is a
> log-book to be maintained by each trainee signifying hours spent driving
> on
> any track with any locomotive.
>
> Then, for many events, there is the Risk Assesment to be prepared and
> submitted beforehand, accident books, logs, etc etc....

Aah.........now I begin to see where you are coming from. This little lot
does seem to be somewhat over the top. But, tell me, what would happen if I,
who has driven steam loco's for many years but has no documentary evidence,
visited your club with a big shiny engine and offered to haul passengers?

Barrie