[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:14:54 +0100

Thank goodness there isnt.

Just think, we have some minor accident that harmed no-one, but the
information may be useful to other model engineers. The details are
published, somewhere. We are aware of technical aspects and are able to
judge exactly how serious that occurance was and what needs to be done, if
anything, to prevent it happening again.
Good, we think.

However, over the course of time, the list of "near misses", would, no
doubt, be an impressive one, at which point some authority or other is
virtually certain to use it to prove how dangerous our hobby is, and from
tha point onward, we would be tightly regulated, if indeed we were allowed
to continue at all.

We already have FAR too many regulations and most aspects of our lives are
controlled, and adding more, particularly to our hobby, can only destroy it.

Dont think it can happen?
I gather that this year several of the full size steam events are not being
held, due to the problems with compliance with new rules. (Knowle Park, one
of the oldest steam rallies being one of them.)

I wont do any public running due to the plethora of rules and regulations. I
am pleased that some people are willing to, but how much more "officialdom"
does it need to make those enthusiasts give up and take up knitting instead.

No, let us not have anything that allows the slightest chance of more rules
and regulations, and sadly, in the present cliamte, even admitting that
there may have been the possibility of an accident can do just that.

Alan