[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Model Engineering List <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:23:42 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Barrie Purslow wrote:

> I've never understood why there is no formal procedure for reporting
> accidents in the model engineering world. I refer particularly to our
> miniature railway operations where we are carrying fare paying members of the
> public. We all know that accidents happen but I have never seen a formal
> report of any of these accidents. How are we supposed to learn from them if
> we are not told what has happened? Surely there is a job here for our
> national associations?
> Don't anybody tell me it ain't possible - I've just retired from 30 years of
> gliding where every accident is investigated and the details published for
> all to read and learn. The same is true for the power flying world.
> Maybe it's different in other countries?
> Barrie Purslow
> Warrington UK
> MODEL ENGINEERING DISCUSSION LIST.

Is it not a mixture of people not wanting to countersign a written report
of what they did wrong, for fear of looking stupid, getting into hot
water, being sued, etc.

Also that the nature of the current health and safety system makes
it seem like the more dangerous someone admits something is,
the more likely it is to get banned; but if you try and play down the
gravity of the whole thing then people don't perceive it to be dangerous,
so you're allowed to continue. Could the issue being that people don't
want to record the fact they nearly got sprayed in the face with hot
steam, as this makes the hobby sound dangerous?

Yours,

Rich.